Friday, May 9, 2008

Alabama Education---or not ?????


Although I moved to the South when I was 16, I was for the most part not educated in the South. Being from a military background, I was educated all over the USA and the world. When I moved to Alabama 26 years ago, I was concerned about the education my daughter would get.....although Louisiana is not great by any stretch of the imagination...the school Stephie attended was ranked very high in the US.

When Stephie finished high school, all student were required to take and pass the Alabama High School Graduation Exam. It has 5 parts and all 5 have to be passed. They start taking this thier JR year and took it until they passed all 5 parts....

Unfortunately, this test is given on an 8th grade level..graduting from high school....AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE.....if you are a High School graduate you shouldn't you function on a high school level......

They did compensate the good students by having 2 diploma's....1 general for students that are not functioning on a high school level and 1 academic for kids that took higher level classes. Makes sense..but if you apply for a job and cannot fill out the application properly...all they see is a diploma from Alabama......

Now for my point.....the state of Alabama is considering lowering the requirement for graduation to only 3 parts of the exam--2 to include Math and Reading.....WHAT????

Let me repeat ...8th grade level...............



Currently Alabama is 62 points below the national average (only Mississippi is higher than we are).

Jobs are more competitive and cost of living is getting higher and higher...even in the South. Companies down here are bring in people from other parts of the country because our people cannot fill the postion available...no reading or math skills....

MY POOR GRANDCHILDREN.

No comments: