Monday, October 22, 2007

A Passing of Time


At the ripe age of 27, I bought my first new car. It was 1976 Chevelle Malibu Classic, 2 door hardtop, AC,beauty rims, with a 8 track player (oh yeah) for the obscene price of $ 5243. I drove this car everyday for over 10 years. By then my son was driving age and he drove it for another 10 years. I went to the hospital in the Chevelle when my daughter was born. I brought her home from the hospital in the very same car. It was cooooool!!!!!!! 350 engine with dual exhaust (glass packs)with a 4 barrel carb. Run like a raped...well it ran really good.

I have kept it all these years and have taught my 2 kids, 3 step kids and to many neighbor kids to count in this car. The Chevelle was my signature. I never owned a 4 door car until all my kids were grown. My friends got to old to climb in the back seat. Today after 30+ years, I sold it. The Chevelle has gotten sad on the inside. Outside look good and had never been wrecked after all these years. To many stereo's taken out and put back back in by the boys ( yes 4 of the 5 kids were boys). It's like losing an old friend. Although it had not been driven for over 5 years..it was in my care. Is it dumb to feel the loss of a car???????

2 comments:

Robin said...

This car was a member of the family. Now the garage/driveway/nest is empty. How could you not mourn now that it has left home?

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.