Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Treasures




Happy Thanksgiving every one, just a little late. Have been out of town and could not blog.

BLOGGER WITHDRAWAL

When to LA for the holiday to see MaMa and family. Ate to much , not a enough time to visit and spent way to much money.

Say Mama and only son. Spent time with favorite sister and other family members.

Mama gave me treasures. She gave me a quilt made by my great grandmother, post cards written by my Uncle Sam when he was joined the Army in 1942. Mama was 18. He went to Duck Hill, Miss. for basic traning and wrote to Mama, Aunt Short (sister) and Mama Thomas.


She gave me her mothers wardrobe closet...I remember MAMA Thomas keeping her dusting powder in the little door with the mirror. Her stocking (she did not wear hose) with the garter that held them up. Her pearls for church on Sunday was in that little door.


Her Sunday dresses hung in the other side. Only the good ones she wore to town and church.

Her and some of the church ladies would gather at her house and make quilts. The back were feed sacks and the patch work front was scraps. They stayed on her bed all winter and was put in the corner during the summer.

She wore house dresses with aprons and smoked till the day she died. She raised chickens and milked her cow. She made her own butter. She could not read but was one of the smartest people I knew when I was small. She could build playhouse and make pies from scratch. She was cool!!!!!!

1 comment:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Oh my! Those are really tresuures to be sure! How wonderful for you.

Thanks for visiting once again! I did the rock with "rub-ons" for the word, but then I used a Sharpie marker and did a border after I took tkhe photo and it looked great! You can use regular acrylic paint ont hem. They make really cute bugs and such! Hope this helps - have agreat rest-of-the-week!
Colleen