Friday, November 2, 2007

Everyone called her Bill

My mother's name is Clotilde (clo-tild) but everyone calls her Bill. Mama is 82 and for the most part in really good health. Heart is good, memory is fine, if you take into consideration Mama is 82. She smokes like a chimney and sees no reason to quit at this time in her life. She has a little COPD from smoking for 60 years and shakes a little but other than that she is doing good. The problem is MAMA is dieing. Not from heart problems , cancer, COPD...MAMA is dieing from sadness. It seems so strange to say that and makes my heart sad when I read it.

Mama is tall (5'11') and has always been thin like a model. She had an olive complexion that required not makeup and hair so black it look purple. She was beautiful. She was a stay at home Mom and was the Room Mother at school. She made our clothes and crochet doilies and throws. She never wore pants until 1957 when we went to France and wore spike heels that made her even prettier. She was by all accounts Harriet Nelson or the Beaver's Mom.

Her and POP ( my Dad) were married 47 years when Pop died and I think that was the day MAMA quit living. She sat down on the couch, lit a cigarette and has not gotten up. For the last 13 years we have lost MAMA a little each day. She lost interest in her church (she still goes every Sunday) but is no longer involved. Most of her's and Pop's friend have passed away so she has no friends. She lives on junk food ( cookies,ice cream, etc) and is down to 97 pounds. We thought it might be something health related but the Dr. said it is sadness. Depression really does kill you.

How sad will my life be when both my parents are gone.

3 comments:

anita said...

I'm sorry that today is a difficult day for you. I hope tomorrow is better. :)

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

First, thank you for visiting my blog - I do appreciate it.

And secondly, I am so sorry that your Mom is so sad. When one looses the interest in living, it makes it that much harder for the one's seeing this happen. I only wish I had answers.

I am about your age, and I have lost both parents. Yes, it is almost too hard to think about. To know that we are orphans at this age, whew! But your Mom is still here. As hard as it is, you must TRY to keep your spirits up so they may transfer to her. (easier said than done, I know) She has lived a long full life, and if she wants to do what she is doing, I guess that's her right. But you must know, in your heart, that you did all you could in her final days. Maybe take her out for ice cream and suggest a little lunch beforehand. I guess what I am trying to say is, you need to try to make her happy, yes, but you need to take care of yourself as well. You can only do so much. Love her and love her life. Honor her and take care of yourself. And let yourself experience the sadness. It too is a part of life and it makes the sweet so much sweeter!
Hope both you and you Mom have better days ahead!
Colleen aka Utah Grammie

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

Thank you so much Colleen.