Friday, February 1, 2008

Obsolete Things


I never thought in my lifetime I would be involved in something that for the most part has or will become obsolete.

When you think of things that have become obsolete.....you think about things in the late 1800's or early 1900's.

Horse drawn buggies, saloons girls (guess we have the mens clubs still), true lumberjacks(done by machine now not men), button up shoes, Snake Oil men, door to door salesmen, typewriters. I am sure there are more...popcorn on top of the stove.

For 15 years, I repaired and assembled payphones. In its hey day,when the market was deregulated and they busted up all the bell companies, we manufuactured 10,000 payphones per month. Our factory employeed 500 people and some people had done it for 30+ years. Then cell phones hit the market and payphones for the most part have become obsolete.

They were everywhere...service stations had whole banks of them, malls had section dedicated to them, movie theater had them outside, found them on the street corners, grocery stores had them in the front of the store. They were on the side of the road for the bad guys to call and give you direction as to where to drop the money off.

Now you would be hard pressed to find one if you need one. Some in the airport for internet use, few in the mall for those people who cannot get a signal in the mall.....gone....

Another thing my great grand children will have no clue as to the use......I have one for my house that can be plugged into the wall and used like a regular phone...maybe I can use it for a retirement investment one day....

2 comments:

Robin said...

We still have a payphone where I work and it does get daily use. I'm afraid quite a bit of it is nafarious and illegal business, but we do direct customers to it as well.

The other thing that kids don't know about now is record albums. I still refer to CD's by both terms, but I'm sure most of our customers under 25 have probably never seen one.

Senior Bowler-Carolyn said...

That's probably true....remember the 45"'s